- The latest installment of the spy action IRIS franchise, IRIS 2 is now courting Lee Da-hae and Jang Hyuk. Since both accepted, this would be the THIRD time those two have paired up in a drama. Joining them will be an all-star cast: Kim Min Jong, Kim Seung Woo, Oh Yoon Soo, Daniel Henney, Im Soo Hyang, Kim Young Chul, Kara’s Kang Ji Young, BEAST’s Yoon Doo Joon, and MBLAQ’s Lee Joon. The drama is scheduled to begin filming in October and will be airing in the Spring of 2013
- MBC has announced a confirmation of production plans for the sequel series to their 2003 smash sageuk hit Dae Jang Geum (aka Jewel in the Palace), which was an enormous success not only at home but internationally as well. It makes sense that they’d want to bring it back. This time, however, MBC seems committed to seeing through the production. Furthermore, president Kim Jae-chul reportedly visited China last week to discuss a broadcast agreement with China’s Honam TV, which is the station that aired the original series in 2005. MBC aims to get Honam onboard with pre-sale of licensing rights and investments for the sequel, and possibly also as a co-producer. Still, there are no concrete details about a production team or PD, nor are there casting leads (despite trying to woo Lee Young-ae back to the show), or a broadcast timetable, although MBC would like a 2013 broadcast.
Okay. Here’s what I said about the IRIS sequel, and it stands for the Dae Jang Geum sequel too: Is this still a relevant project? Do we still care?
- Drama adaptation of fantasy folklore Jeon Woo-chi will be headlined by Cha Tae-hyun (General Hospital 2) and UEE (Ojakgyo Brothers). Jeon Woo-chi is a dosa, a wizard, who gained his powers by swallowing a gumiho fox bead. A friend’s betrayal causes him to lose his mentor and father-figure Hong Gil-dong, and the love of his life. So in order to avenge their deaths, he travels to Joseon, and becomes a reluctant hero for the people. Also joining the cast is Sung Dong-il (Answer Me 1997), and Lee Hee-jun (You Who Rolled in Unexpectedly) has been cast as Jeon Woo-chi’s nemesis, who clashes with him at every turn. Jeon Woo-chi follows Nice Guy and premieres in late November on KBS.
- Three of the original members of hit variety show 1 Night 2 Days: Lee Su-geun, Eun Ji-won, and Kim Jong-min will be reuniting to star in a brand new variety reality show on cable network tvN called Three Fools. It will premiere on October 7.
- Melodrama series I Miss You is attempting to get Chun Jung-myung (Man of Honor) for a lead role. He is currently considering it and there is a good chance he will take it. He’d be joining Yoochun as the opposition brother.
- Ha Jung-woo (The Client) announced he was making a road documentary with some friends, including Love Fiction co-star Gong Hyo-jin and took off on a zany cross-country trip, resulting in the latest low-budget indie hit, 577 Project. The whole thing began at the 2011 Baeksang Awards, where Ha Jung-woo went up to present an award with Ha Ji-won. She asked him what he’d do if he won the acting award again (for Yellow Sea), and asked him to make a public promise in case he wins. He joked that he’d walk cross-country with his statue if he did. In any case, a year later he decided to keep his word and film the whole journey. They travel the length of South Korea, from Seoul to Haenam (on the southern tip), walking the whole 577 kilometers.