Lots and lots of news indeed! 🙂
- Shin So-yool (Answer Me 1997) who’ll be playing Moon Geun-young’s bestie on the upcoming weekend drama Alice in Cheongdam-dong.
- Shin So-yool will play the heroine’s best friend, They’v been friends from high school all the way through college. Her character is cute and bold, not afraid to speak her mind, and wishes more than anything that she could marry a wealthy man.
- Yoon Sang Hyun (Can’t Lose) is currently considering a role for upcoming MBC drama The Best Lee Soon-shin.
- Kim Tae Woo (Dummy Mommy) has been cast in upcoming drama That Winter, The Wind Blows.
- The power duo of writer Choi Wan-kyu and PD Yoo Chul-yong (All In, Swallow the Sun) are back with a third drama called Her Majesty the Queen. It is the story of a man who rises to fame as a boxer, having grown up the son of a gangster. The heroine is the hidden daughter of a gambler, then is taken by her mother to be raised in Hawaii and then wins a beauty pageant. What ensues is the story of their “stormy lives” as they battle for success. Her Majesty the Queen will be a 24-episode drama and hopes to air sometime next spring.
- Lee Jong-seok ( High Kick 3) has been confirmed for KBS’s remake of the ’90s youth drama School. He’ll most likely take on a youngster repeating high school. School is currently in the script-writing stages. Other names that have been floated as possibilities are Lee Yubi (Nice Guy) and Lee Se-young (Bachelor’s Vegetable Store). The drama has got the PD of the first School and the PD from Dream High onboard. School will be a Monday-Tuesday drama, and will hit airwaves at the end of November or beginning of December.
- Choi Kang-hee (Protect the Boss) has been offered the lead role and is considering it favorably for upcoming rom-com spy drama Secret Agent War. Secret Agent War is being planned as a 20-episode drama and will air in January 2.
- MBC is reviving Police Detective, which was quite the success back in 1971, and refashioning it into Detective Choi Il-woo. The drama will follow a police team as they investigate unsolved violent crimes, as the original show did, but giving the cases a modern bent. The show promises to tackle current-day social issues, calling itself “a human and social drama, not a twisted crime drama.” The titular role of Detective Choi Il-woo has not been confirmed yet, although the news teases of “a very popular Hallyu star” being up for the role. We do have the heroine in place with Lee Hana (Triple, Women in the Sun) playing a cerebral detective. Comedian Kim Byung-man has also signed on to play a veteran detective with a strong personality. Detective Choi Il-woo is hoping to get on the air in early 2013.
- Lee Seung Gi (King 2 Hearts) confirmed to star as the lead role in Guga Medical Book. Currently, the female lead was offered to Suzy (Big) and she is positively reviewing the offer. Lee Seung Gi will be playing a mythical creature, supposedly a gumiho (nine-tailed fox). This will be the first historical drama for both Lee Seung Gi and Suzy. The drama is still being planned but is none-the-less planned to premiere in the first half of 2013.
- Song Seung-heon (Dr. Jin) is preparing for his next project, an action-sageuk film called The Messenger. It is set against the backdrop of the Mongol invasions of the early 13th century, when the Goryeo nation took the cautionary measure of moving its capital. The fate of the country lies with one man tasked with the delivery of an urgent message—our hero, Song Seung-heon. Not too many people have attached themselves to the movie yet, though we have director Kwon Jong-kwan (S Diary, Sad Movie) and supporting actor Yoon Jae-moon (The King 2 Hearts). The Messenger is scheduled to begin filming in December.
- Jung Kyeo-woon (History of the Salaryman) and Yoon Seung-ah (Panda and Hedgehog) have signed on to co-star in a new romantic comedy film called Become Pretty Things, due out this winter. The story is about Jung Kyeo-woon as a law student who’s been trying to pass the bar exam for ten years straight. He meets and falls in love with Yoon Seung-ah, who is a rough-and-tumble tomboy. It’s a rom-com about finding a sincere love, and it sounds like the focus will mostly be on youth and self-discovery. Become Pretty Things has begun shooting, and plans for a late-December or January release.