- Jae Hee (May Queen) got out of the military two years ago, he was one of the few actors to not take on an acting gig straightaway,
and in fact it was over a year later than he chose to return to acting through the cable drama Color of Woman. The reason for this was that he secretly got married, and had a baby!
- Lee Beom-soo (Dr. Jin) and BEAST’s Yoon Doo-joon have signed on for IRIS 2. Lee Beom-soo will play a North Korean agent who goes head-to-head with South Korean NSS agent Jang Hyuk. He’ll play a renegade agent who likes to make his own agenda and travels the world. He then crosses paths with the NSS hunting down IRIS, which lands him smack dab in the center of our main conflict. On the other hand, Yoon Doo-joon will play a South Korean NSS agent who’s basically a golden boy — he’s confident and bright, and skilled at firearms, martial arts, languages. IRIS 2 will head into shoots in November, and plans to air in February.
- Incarnation of Money (working title) is an upcoming SBS weekend show from the producers of Giant and History of a Salaryman. It’s courting Hwang Jung-eum (Golden Time) and Kang Ji-hwan (Lie to Me). Hwang Jung Eum will play the daughter of a loan shark and “knows nothing but money.” With a personality described as pragmatic and a strong work ethic, she eventually becomes the president of a savings bank. Her character will start out “ugly” and then get an extreme makeover; she starts out overweight and wearing glasses and braces. “With tons of hard work and lots of money, she undergoes a transformation to become a top-class beauty.” Then things get wacky: Our hero named Lee Cha-don knows of her past and is in debt to her, but happens to be locked up in a psychiatric hospital on a remote island. So our heroine goes to spring him from the joint, armed with faked marriage registration documents, beginning their faux-spouses routine. She starts to suspect her new not-husband of having killed her father, who died under suspicious circumstances. Just as “her ideal man” makes his appearance and kicks up the love triangle. Some reports state that this drama, at 24 episodes, but surely Incarnation of Money will follow Alice.
- Yoo Seung-ho has just been added to I Miss You. He has just confirmed that he’ll be playing the character of Kang Hyung-joon, the antagonist to hero Han Jung-woo, and his “mild-mannered smile hides the sharp blade of revenge.” The two men’s conflict dates back to their parents’ generation. One reason for Hyung-joon’s two-faced character can be traced back, naturally, to a painful emotional scar. Admittedly sometimes you just want to take aside those fiercely bitter antagonists and play them a round of “Everybody Hurts.” I Miss You premieres in early November
- Choi Kang-hee (Protect the Boss) has signed on to be Joo-won’s leading lady in the new spy action rom-com drama Secret Agent War. Choi Kang-hee will play Kim Seo-won, an agent with brains, brawn, and looks, but lacking in wealth. She’s the eldest daughter of a poor farmer, and works hard to support her family financially, from living expenses to all her siblings’ tuition. Seo-won is tenacious and independent, and a realist with fierce pride. Joo-won plays Gil-ro, a rookie agent who comes from a well-to-do family. Their initial conflict will arise out of money and pride. Joo-won will be the rookie to Choi Kang-hee’s higher-ranked agent. Secret Agent War will air in January on MBC.
- Daniel Choi is joining the remake of 1990s youth drama School, which is now going by the name (still a working title) 2013 School. He’s reteaming with Jang Nara, from their drama Baby-Faced Beauty. His character is a gentle-mannered, competently skilled, and classy language teacher Kang Se-chan, who’s wildly popular with both students and parents. Se-chan is described as both a straight-shooter and a glib speaker, which seems like total opposites but which I can actually see him pulling off. Kim Woo-bin (A Gentleman’s Dignity) has confirmed and will most likely play the rebel student. 5dolls’ Hyo-young is being considered as a potential cast member. Lee Yubi of Nice Guy, however, will not be joining the drama due to scheduling conflicts. Park Se-young (Faith, Love Rain) confirms role for female lead role instead. 2013 School will follow Oohlala Spouses on Mondays and Tuesdays and will air beginning in December.
- According to a Newsen article, tvN will be launching the third installment of the Flower Boyfranchise. The title of the new show is 이웃집꽃미남 or Neighbor Hotties, as roughly translated by Google Translate and Bing Translator. Because the program is in pre-production, the title could still change. Meanwhile, casting is in progress, and while the broadcast date has not been decided yet, tvN is aiming to premiere it in January.
- Park Shin Hye will have a cameo in King of Dramas as a favor from the PD who directed You’re Beautiful.
- Ha Jung-woo (The Client) and Jeon Ji-hyun (Thieves) haven’t even released spy thriller Berlin but they’ve already been cast as their second married couple in the new movie The Road Home. Ha Jung-woo has signed on to star, and Jeon Ji-hyun is still unconfirmed and considering the offer. The Road Home is a suspense thriller, about a wife who gets framed for smuggling drugs on her way home from France. Worst vacation hangover ever. All the evidence points to her, so she gets thrown in prison. Her husband then embarks on a dangerous one-man operation to rescue her. The movie plans to start shooting in January, for a release later next year.