- Uhm Tae Woong (Equator Man) is in final discussion with the production of SBS’ The Hidden Story of Yi Soon Shin to play the leading role of Admiral Yi Soon Shin. In this fictional account, Yi Soon Shin doesn’t die in the naval battle of Noryang but travels the seas all around the world to find a new land to govern.
- I Love You, Ahjusshi is about Jang Baek Ho, who was one of the biggest stars of 1996, getting into an accident and falling into a coma for 17 years. The drama depicts how he has to adjust and learn about the new, fast-paced times after he wakes up. Much interest is going into this upcoming drama due to the 90s nostalgia trend in the recent times. Yoon Sang Hyun (Can’t Lose) will be headlining this drama, other confirmed cast members include Oh Man-seok (Wild Romance), Jung Jun-ha (Five Fingers) and Z:EA’s Dong-jun (Girl K).
- Gangnam Style, is a rom-com project that’s been in the works for some time, set in the fashion world, and based on the popular webtoon Fashion King (not related to the drama withe the same title). The lead role has been offered to Park Ha-sun (High Kick: Counterattack of the Short Legs). The drama is described as a story about young love and today’s trendiest fashion, which doesn’t actually tell me much. On paper the story sounds much like Fashion King — about a young designer trying to become the king of fashion — which would explain why that drama got slapped with accusations of plagiarism early on, for its similarity to the webtoon. Gangnam Style will start shooting in December for a February premiere.
- Upcoming drama Clara is on a love story between a man in his 20’s and woman in her 40’s, based on the original Japanese novel “Tokyo Tower” by Ekuni Gaori. The screenplay will be written by Jeong Seong-joo (A Wife’s Credentials)
- I Miss You, added Lee Se-young (A King’s Dream), a former child actress who is now heading into her first grown-up role. She’ll play younger sister to hero Yoochun and love interest for rival Yoo Seung-ho.
- The third installment in the “Flower Boy” series is entitled Flower Boy Next Door. The producers have scored two big names for this one: Yoon Shi-yoon (Me Too, Flower!) and Park Shin-hye (You’ve Fallen For Me). It’s based on an existing webtoon called I Steal Peeks At Him Every Day. It’s an upbeat, lively story that centers around an “urban Rapunzel” type character, played by Park Shin-hye, who is locked up in her lonely tower. She sneaks peeks at her neighbor across the street, and gets caught by a different guy, played by Yoon Shi-yoon. Sold and sold. I’m hooked already. Park plays Go Dok-mi, which is a play on the word for lonely (go-dok). Yoon’s flower boy character is named Enrique Geum, a fashionable creative director with charm out the wazoo and “superior genes.” PD Jung Jung-hwa is back in the game, after having directed Flower Boy Ramyun Shop. Screenwriter Kim Eun-jung is penning the scripts; her film credits include Coffee (Gabi) and Hwang Jini (the 2007 movie). Flower Boy Next Door one will be a Monday-Tuesday romantic comedy running for 16 episodes. It premieres on January 7, 2013.
- 2PM’s Chansung confirmed s second lead for Secret Agent Wars.
- Jung Kyung-ho (Smile, You) announces his comeback project. It’s a movie called Man and Typhoon, and it’s the directorial feature debut for actor Ha Jung-woo (Love Fiction, The Client). It’s about a plane carrying a Hallyu star and a diverse collection of passengers finds itself imperiled by an unexpected typhoon. Jung Kyung-ho plays the haughty star Ma Jun-kyu, who leads the cast in “comic commotion.” Man and Typhoon is currently working on filling out the rest of its cast and plans to begin filming at the end of November, with the aim of a release in the latter half of 2013.