Yoo Seung-ho announced that he’s enlisting in the army early next year, right after his current show I Miss You is over.
- King of Dramas has confirmed a 2-episode extension.
- Queen Inhyun’s Man director Kim Byung-soo and writer Song Jae-jung is back together for a follow-up drama slated for the new year called Court Lady, and they’re currently courting Lee Jin-wook (I Need Romance 2012) and Jo Yoon-hee (You Who Rolled in Unexpectedly) to play the leads.
- It’s apparently going to be another time-traveling drama. Both Lee Jin-wook and Jo Yoon-hee are still considering the drama, so it’s not a done deal for the actors. Court Lady will reportedly have the two time periodse closer together. Court Lady will follow Flower Boy Next Door, and premiere in March.
- South Korea is electing a new president this week some dramas will be facing delays and preemptions. Some shows have already been preempted in recent days for presidential debate coverage, among those were Childless Good Fortune, Rascal Sons, and Shinhwa Broadcast, while May Queen got pushed back and aired in a later timeslot. Both I Miss You and The Great Seer will resume with regular broadcasts on Thursday, December 20, but with only one episode.
- SBS’s historical drama The Great Seer being forced to shut down production on Saturday, December 8, when its cast refused to continue shooting. The chair of the Korea Broadcast Actors Union issued a statement explaining that the drama, which began airing in October, has failed to pay a penny to its actors in the two months that it has been running. Until the production rectifies the situation, it stated that the actors will not film. Currently the drama has broadcast through Episode 18 of its scheduled 36.
- The union also shut down weekend drama My Daughter Seo-young for not paying up. On December 3, the union had originally given the production until December 10 to pay up back wages, or face nullified contracts. Guess that didn’t happen, because on the 18th they forced a shutdown of a shoot at a Cheonho-dong wedding hall. The production company was facing difficulties. But since the production company reneged on their promise.
- Right on the heels of the union shutdown on the set of weekend drama My Daughter Seo-young, is the news that it’s currently in talks to extend beyond its scheduled 50 episodes. KBS is reportedly negotiating with the producers for an extension ranging from 8 to 20 episodes. This might be the only thing to save it from sinking financially by back-paying your staff for parts of the show already aired.
- Newly launched cable station, JTBC has taken a gradual approach, starting small and expanding rather than jumping in all at once. Now they’ll be rolling out their first daily drama, Thorn Flower to be headlined by Jang Shin-young (Empress, The Chaser). Jang will be playing a strong femme fatale. Her character Se-mi starts out sweet and pure, till she’s cruelly crushed by two men and pushed to the brink of death; her trauma includes rape and the death of her family as well as betrayal by her lover. She returns wearing “an angel’s mask” and armed with a revenge mission. Thorn Flower will be written by Lee Hong-gu (A Man Called God, East of Eden). Directing is PD Kim Do-hyung, who was a secondary director on Playful Kiss and worked on Goong.
- Uhm Tae-woong is playing Joo-won’s villainous enemy in the upcoming Level 7 Civil Servant. Although this is just an extended cameo.
- Yawang has recently casted Lee Jae-yoon (Ghost) as step-oppa to Su Ae, Lee Il-hwa (Answer Me, 1997) as Kwon Sang-woo’s mother figure, and Kim Sung-ryung (The Chaser, Neighbor Enemies) as the daughter of a corporation CEO, and noona to Yunho.
- Once called Third Generation Noodle House, it’s now going by the title Hundred Year Inheritance.
- Confirmations are in for Kim Sun-ah’s next project, revenge film The Five, based on the popular webtoon by Jung Yeon-shik. She will play the heroine Eun-ah, who loses her husband and daughter in a brutal serial murder, and nearly dies herself. She barely survives, “body and heart fallen,” and ends up in a wheelchair half-paralyzed with nothing to do but plot her revenge. She puts her own organs down as collateral to fund her mission and puts together a team. They include a North Korean defector, a former gangster, and a deadbeat debtor — all people who are marginalized by society in some way. The story is as much about the way these people come together as a strange family, fueled by revenge. The Five starts shooting early in the new year for a 2013 release.