Lots of news to start 2013! 😀
- Korean entertainment news started with a bang as many couples were revealed. First off is Rain and Kim Tae Hee. Although this ruined Rain’s image because the excessive vacation days he has used to date. It caused many people to complain on celebrity favoritism in military duty. But it seems that the punishment will not be severe for Rain. The representative Kim Min Suk stated, “He probably will not be sent to the brig. But, there will probably be punishment in terms of reduced number of a vacation days and privileges to leave base.”
- Then it followed with rumors that Kim Nam Gil and Jang Nara are dating. Jang Nara won a drama acting award from KBS for School 2013 and Kim Nam Gil visited the set bringing snacks for everyone to celebrate Jang Nara’s win.
- On a lower profile, MBC’s daily drama Oh Ja Ryong Is Coming co-stars Lee Jang Woo and Oh Yeon Seo are confirmed dating. Well until it was considered a scandal since Oh Yeon Seo is currently in a virtual marriage with MBLAQ’s Lee Joon. Her reps are saying that they go out every week but with a group of friends.
- The new fusion fantasy sageuk, Gu Family Book starring Lee Seung-gi and Suzy has confirmed a spot on MBC and is set to follow Horse Healer on Mondays-Tuesdays. That puts the premiere in late March or early April, given Horse’s 50-episode run.
- Kang Ji Hwan‘s recent dispute with his latest management company has been depressing, with the agency recently asking a court to prohibit Kang Ji Hwan from further activities until his contract with them expires October of 2013. During this time there was talk of SBS dropping him as the leading man on its upcoming 24-episode drama The Incarnation of Money, but today the news outlets quietly reported that Kang Ji Hwan is on the set and the drama has started filming with him. He is confirmed to star in the new weekend rom-com alongside Hwang Jung-eum, as planned. The second leading ladies would be Eunjung.
The 24-episode series is the next project from the buzz team behind ratings hits and critical successes Giant and History of the Salaryman. Hwang Jung-eum stars as the vicious daughter of a loan shark who grows up knowing nothing but money, and will stop at nothing to collect what’s owed. Kang Ji-hwan is one such unlucky debtor, who for reasons unknown is locked away in a mental institution on an island. Hwang Jung-eum manages to bust him out with fake papers. Incarnation of Money follows Alice in Cheongdam-dong and premieres February 2 on SBS.
- JTBC weekend family drama Childless Good Fortune broke to 8% ratings. With a cable drama reaching that kind of number, it comes as no surprise that the station extends your run. Originally planned for 30 episodes, now the show will be getting 8 to 10 more; the number hasn’t been decided yet but the extension itself is confirmed. Writer Kim, the production company, and the scheduling team at JTBC are reportedly currently ironing out those details.
- Yoo Ah In (Fashion King) is the male lead for the new SBS drama, Jang Ok Jung, Live For Love, which airs after Yawang on March.
- Jo Jung Seok and IU are being courted for weekend drama, The Best Lee Soon Shin. It will be set in the entertainment world, with the leading lady a country bumpkin who comes to Seoul and becomes sponsored by a businessman to become a star while the leading man is an already established idol singer. This is set to follow My Daughter Seo Young around early April.
- Updates on Kim Soo-hyun’s new pretty-boy spy flick Covertly Grandly: they’ve secured three more awesome actors. Park Ki-woong (Gaksital, Full House Take 2) and Lee Hyun-woo (To the Beautiful You, Equator Man) co-star as his comrades and idol bandmates, and Sohn Hyun-joo (The Chaser) is their commanding officer/drill sergeant. Covertly Grandly is shooting now and plans to premiere sometime this year.