Lots of casting news this week!
- New MBC weekend drama, I Summon You, Gold! is courting Lee Jong-hyuk (A Gentleman’s Dignity) to be its leading man. Lee Jia (Me Too, Flower!) was also considering but has since denied any official offers. It’s a family drama about the truth about the middle class, and more specifically about money. It’s described as satirical. Na Moon-hee (What Is a Mom?) and Choi Myung-gil (Man of Honor) are signed on to play the moms. Gold will replace current weekend family drama Rascal Sons, and will be helmed by PD Kang Dae-sun of I Do, I Do and My Princess, and writer Ha Chung-ok of Pure Pumpkin Flower. I Summon You, Gold! premieres in March on MBC.
- Casting continues for Jang Ok-jung, Live For Love. The role of Queen In-hyun is being offered to Hong Soo-hyun (History of the Salaryman). She is currently considering the role favorably. Meanwhile Yoo Ah In (Fashion King) has signed on to play male lead King Sukjong, and joining him in the cast as second male lead will be Jae Hee (May Queen) playing the first love of Jang Ok Jung. Lee Sang Yeob (Nice Guy) is also a confirmed cast, although no mention on his role yet. Jang Ok-jung will air on Mondays and Tuesdays after Yawang ends in March.
- Hyun Woo (I Live in Cheongdamdong) joined the cast of the OCN cable drama Virus starring Eom Ki Joon. He will play a college student shrouded in yet more mystery. With him are Lee Ki-woo(Standby) and Park Min-woo (I Need a Fairy). Lee Ki-woo will play a scientist on the team, a viral specialist with a bit of a mysterious past. His character is described as both soft and cool-headed. Park Min-woo will play Eom Ki-joon’s right-hand man, aka Head Minion. Also joining the cast is Lee So-jung (Dream, Tazza) who plays the female lead, another member of Team Virus. Her character is described as “rational and logical.” The Virus is due out in March on cable network OCN.
- Kim Joo-hyuk (God of War) has signed on to play the titular hero in the new MBC daily sageuk biopic called Gu-am Heo Jun about the life and career of legendary Joseon royal physician. Joining him are veteran actors Baek Yoon-shik (Tree With Deep Roots) and Go Doo-shim (If Tomorrow Comes) have also joined the cast. Baek Yoon-shik will play Heo Jun’s teacher, Yoo Ui-tae, a central figure in the drama version of the Heo Jun tale. While Go Doo-shim will play Heo Jun’s mother. Gu-am Heo Jun premieres in March, and will have a six-month run on MBC.
- Updates on The Best, Lee Soon Shin: It’s a KBS family drama set to air after My Daughter Seo-young in April. The story is about a single mom with three daughters who grow up in a small island village. The youngest of them, Soon-shin, heads to Seoul to become a star. Yoo Inna (Queen Inhyun’s Man) will play second daughter Yoo-shin, while Sohn Tae-young (Two Wives) as eldest daughter Hye-shin.
- SBS’s upcoming romantic-comedy drama series All About My Romance has settled upon its leads Shin Ha-kyun (Brain)and Han Hye-jin (Thorn Birds, Syndrome), who replaces Im Soo-jung. The project is an opposites-attract romance set in the world of politics. The two are cast as newly elected parliamentarian belonging to the clashing parties. So when all that crackling romantic tension leads to actual dating, Noh Min Young is careful to keep the relationship a secret, since she’s already under the scrutiny of the opposing party. All About My Romance is wrapping up its casting and plans to begin production soon, for an April premiere.
- We’ve got new additions to the cast of upcoming spy action drama IRIS 2. Jung Seok-won (Haeundae Lovers) has signed on for a “special appearance” to play the younger version of the IRIS franchise bad guy, Baek San (played by Kim Young-chul). While Yoon So-yi (Color of Woman) will play a South Korean college student who meets Lee Beom-soo’s North Korean agent. She then sneaks into North Korea and trains in the special forces and counterterrorism units. Once she becomes an agent, she then returns to her home country as a North Korean spy. IRIS 2 follows Jeon Woo-chi and premieres February 13 on KBS.
- OCN crime thriller Special Affairs Team TEN renews for a second season. TEN Season 2 starts shooting in February, and will return with the same team. It doesn’t have a premiere date yet, but it will be out this year.