It really is casting season.
- The Incarnation of Money premieres later. Park Sang Min will be playing the villain. Meanwhile Eunjung was originally in talks for this drama but her role has now gone to Oh Yoon Ah, with Choi Yeo Jin and Kim Soo Mi rounding out the main cast.
- SBS weekend series Wonderful Mama, set to follow current Saturday-Sunday drama My Love Madame Butterfly. Wonderful Mama is about a mom who’s a successful loan shark who gets diagnosed with Alzheimer’s, after which her three daughters have to take over everything, including taking care of Mom and running the family business. Bae Jong-ok (Hooray for Love) is up to play Mom, while Jung Yumi (Rooftop Prince) will play Mom’s eldest daughter, Go Young-chae, a designer and uppity princess who has a short temper and a quick tongue. But she’ll eventually mature and become a warm, optimistic young woman with lots of affection. She meets Jung Kyeo-woon’s character at work when she starts a new job, and they’ll have a contentious workplace romance. Jung Kyeo-woon (History of the Salaryman) will play Jang Hoon-nam, the second son of a family that’s owned a clothing material factory for three generations. He lost his parents at a young age, and grew up taking care of his hearing-impaired older brother. They’re inseparable, and he sounds like the nicest kid brother ever. He’s strict and professional at work, but he’s got a strong sense of responsibility and he starts out trying to get Young-chae to stop being a gold-digging princess, and will eventually fall in love with her. The drama will be helmed by PD Yoon Ryu-hae (I Love You), and writer Park Hyun-joo (Hooray for Love). Wonderful Mama premieres this spring on SBS.
- IU and Jo Jung Seok confirms that the casting is a done deal for upcoming weekend drama The Best Lee Soon Shin. Since this is a weekend drama, the parents will be very important to the narrative and they have Lee Mi Sook (Can’t We Get Married) and Kim Gab Soo (Jeon Woo Chi) onboard. The other leading man has been confirmed as Go Joo Won (OB/GYN), who will be paired up with Yoo In Na. The PD is one not typically associated with family dramas, having helmed the period thriller Gaksital and the dark Story of a Man, while the writer is familiar with the family drama genre having done Insoo is Pretty and Marry Me. This follows the highly rated My Daughter Seo Young on KBS starting in mid-March.
- Song Seung-heon (Dr. Jin) is starring another MBC drama called When A Man Loves. The object of his affections is Shin Se-kyung (Fashion King). Both Song and Shin are in final negotiations, which means that the casting isn’t technically finalized, but most outlets are treating it as a done deal. Yeon Woo-jin (Arang and the Magistrate) will be joining as the second lead, completing the love triangle. His character is a blunt and brash “young wolf,” who’s used to winning at everything. He’s sharp and confident, but more than feeding his ambition, his dream is to someday start a happy family. We don’t have much info on the plot yet, only that the hero is a junior member in a crime organization, who falls in love with his mob boss’ girl. The boss dies, so our hero starts to date her and then falls for yet another girl. When he falls for a young woman, the two are swept up in the whirlpool of passionate romance. It will be helmed by the director of Arang and the Magistrate and the writer of Equator Man. This will follow Level 7 Civil Servant ends in April.
- Yoo Yeon-seok (Wolf Boy) has signed on to be the rival to our half-gumiho hero in the supernatural sageuk Gu Family Book. He will play the golden boy warrior to Seung-gi’s half-gumiho I-wanna-be-a-real-boy hero. He’s described as cool-headed and cynical, and the best scholar, fighter, and swordsman in the land. Meanwhile Jung Hye-young (Playful Kiss) has been cast as head gisaeng Chun Soo-ryun at an establishment named Chunhwagwan. Having been a gisaeng from her youth, she’s amassed a reputation for her beauty and wisdom as she serves a clientele that includes the rich and famous. Soo-ryun puts in constant efforts to elevate her junior gisaengs to becoming artists. Gu Family Book follows Horse Healer and premieres in April.
- Park Jin-hee (Fermentation Family) isigned on to join MBC’s special production drama Gu-am Heo Jun. Unfortunately, this does mean we’re losing Han Chae-ah from the cast list. She’ll play Lady Ye-jin, a warm-hearted woman who lost her parents at a young age and was adopted by her father’s friend (played by Baek Yoon-shik). When she grows older she becomes a nurse to the royal physician and works alongside Heo Jun. Despite falling in love with him, he’s already married and therefore Ye-jin puts her energies toward helping him as his assistant. Gu-am Heo Jun will take to airwaves in March on MBC.
- Minority Opinion is based on a real-life event, known as Yongsan Incident wherein a group of apartment tenants protested their eviction and police officers attempted to remove them. Instead a fire broke out and five residents were killed along with one officer. The movie has cast Yoon Kye-sang (Phungsan Dog, Best Love) in the lead with Kim Ok-bin(Actresses, Thirst) and Yoo Hae-jin (The Unjust, Moss) in supporting roles. This is produced by Harimao Pictures (Level 7 Civil Servant’s film version). Minority Opinion plans to begin filming from March through May.