- SBS is prepping a new variety program for fall titled Beating Hearts that’ll follow the cast as they undergo the process of becoming firefighters. There will be six cast members total, so far they rounded up Park Ki-woong (Gaksital), Lee Won-jong (Mandate of Heaven), and Jo Dong-hyuk (Brain). Beating Hearts will begin filming on August 13 and will premiere in September.
- Inspiring Generation finally completes it cast. Kim Hyun Joong (Playful Kiss) and Kim So Eun (Horse Doctor) will be the main leads. The other male leads include Han Jung Soo (Chuno) and Yoon Hyun Min (Heartless City). Rounding the cast are secondary female leads Im Soo Hyang (IRIS II). This follows Secret sometime late November.
- Kim So-eun (Horse Doctor) will be starring in an experimental format known as“drama-toon” titled After School Bokbulbok. This new project is a drama not in the traditional television broadcast sense since it’ll be distributed via online and mobile portals. After Shool Bokbulbok will be a high school story centering around Kim So-eun, a timid girl with an ordinary life who gets invited to a school club, after which point she begins to encounter extraordinary events, which makes her come out of her shell and draws out her bright, lively personality. After Shool Bokbulbok is a joint production between entertainment agency Fantagio, production company Group Eight, and director Jung Jung-hwa (Flower Boy Next Door). It will begin its run in early September, and will be available on all of SK’s channels like Nate, Hoppin, TV STore, and BTV.
- Joo Jin-mo (Gabi) has signed on to MBC’s upcoming sageuk drama Hwatu to play the main lead, King Chunghye who grew up with Empress Ki. He has a long drawn and passionate love triangle with Empress Ki and her husband Yuan Emperor Soon Jae Oh. Hwatu is set in the Goryeo dynasty, which is produced by Giant and History of the Salaryman, will be MBC’s next Monday-Tuesday drama and premieres in October.
- Ghost-Seeing Detective Cheo-yong have casted its heroines in Oh Ji-eun (King of Dramas) as the dogged detective partner in the regional investigation unit and Secret’s Jeon Hyo-sung as the schoolgirl ghost who’s haunting Cheo-yong. The new spook thriller comes from the PD of cop comedy Arrest King and one of the writers of Joseon X-Files. Ghost-Seeing Detective Cheo-young will air for ten episodes on Sunday nights, and premieres October 6 on OCN.
- Hong Soo-hyun (Jang Ok-jung, Live By Love) is headlining a weekend family drama called Will You Love And Give It Away. It’s about a couple who remarries in their twilight years, forcing two families of grown adult children to become one big happy family. It’s described as warm thoughtful family fare, about the trials and tribulations of two families forced into this new situation, and their eventual acceptance of each other as a new family unit. Hong Soo-hyun will play one of the daughters. The drama comes from the PD of Queen of Reversals, and the writer of family dramas Ugly Mooncake.Will You Love And Give It Away is set to follow I Summon You, Gold and will air on Saturdays and Sundays starting in September on MBC.
- Lee Jin-wook (Nine: Nine Times Travel) is in final negotiations to join Point Blank. He and Ryu Seung-ryong will form an unlikely alliance in the film, where Ryu is a killer who’s being hunted by cops and hitmen alike. Lee Jin-wook is a doctor who helps Ryu (he was a nurse in the original), and when the doc’s wife is kidnapped the two men join forces to rescue her. The Point Blank remake will begin filming later this month.
- Rom-com film Laws of Attraction is about the friendships and love lives of three forty-something, which consists of Uhm Jung-hwa (Dancing Queen), Jo Min-soo (Pieta) and Moon Sori (Ethics of Wrath). The leading men consists of Lee Jae-yoon (Heartless City), Lee Kyung-young (Vampire Prosecutor 2) and Lee Sung-min (Golden Time) respectively. The script is from a newbie writer who won the top prize at Lotte Entertainment’s open screenwriting contest, and directing is PD Kwon Chil-in (Wonderful Radio). Laws of Attraction has begun shooting and is aiming for a release later this year.